Address: Town Hall, 80 Main Street Terryville, CT 06786
EMail: Contact Us Form
Hours: Monday -Thursday 8 AM - 5PM
Friday 8:30 AM – Noon
As a reminder, to be granted a motor vehicle release within 24 hours of payment, the payment must be in the form of cash, money order or a bank check. If a payment is made online or with a personal check, it may take up to 10 days for registration privileges to be restored.
Mill rate: 39.69 (for PP & RE) and 32 (for MV): July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018
The Tax Office collects a variety of bills, real estate tax, motor vehicle, personal property, as well as sewer use and sewer assessments. We also collect parking tickets, false fire alarm fines, and aircraft registrations. The Tax Collector is an elected position with a 4 year term.
- Real Estate, Motor Vehicle, and Personal Property bills are mailed the last day in June and are due no later than August 1st.
- Aircraft are registered in the month of September.
- Sewer use bills are mailed October 1st and due November 1st.
- Supplemental Motor Vehicle bills are mailed mid-December and are due no later than February 1st.
- Waterline Assessment bills are mailed February 1st and due by March 1st.
- Please do not post date checks.
- Please do not use staples.
- Yes, you can write one check for all your tax bills.
- Per State Statute 12-130 failure to have received a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from taxes or interest charge.
- Interest can not be waived.
- U.S. postmark date is used to determine interest.
- Past due taxes must be paid before current taxes. The oldest list year is paid first (CGS12-146) except for prior years that are in litigation or predate a pending bankruptcy.
- Concerning tax types within a given year; Unless the taxpayer indicates otherwise, payments are to be applied first to personal property, then to motor vehicle (regular or supplemental, whichever is older), then to real estate (CGS12-143).
- Any payment received will be applied to interest, liens & fees first, then tax.(CGS 12-144b)
Payments for motor vehicle taxes due 7/1/17 are now delinquent and subject to a $5.00 late fee (per vehicle) plus accrued interest at the rate of 1.5%/month accruing from 7/1/17.
Prior year motor vehicle tax payments may be paid to the Tax Collector office OR by calling The American National Recovery Group (ANRG) (845) 512-8444.