Address: Town Hall, 80 Main Street Terryville, CT 06786
EMail: Contact Us Form
Pam Pelletier, CCMC
DMV Releases: If delinquent motor vehicle taxes are paid online or with a personal check it will take 5 full business days for registration privileges to be restored.
If delinquent motor vehicle taxes are paid in cash or with certified funds, you will be granted a DMV release overnight. Immediate releases will NOT be given.
Motor Vehicles – 32.46 July 1, 2022- June 30, 2023
Real Estate, Personal Property – 36.32 July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023
The Tax Office collects a variety of bills, real estate tax, motor vehicle, personal property, as well as sewer use and waterline assessments. We also collect aircraft registrations. The Tax Collector is an elected position with a 4 year term.
- Real Estate, Motor Vehicle, and Personal Property bills are mailed in late June and are due no later than August 2nd.
- Aircraft are registered in the month of September.
- Sewer use bills are mailed October 1st and due November 1st.
- Sewer payments require a seperate check if also paying a seperate tax or assessment.
- Supplemental Motor Vehicle bills are mailed mid-December and are due no later than February 1st.
- Waterline Assessment bills are mailed February 1st and due by March 1st.
- Please do not post date checks.
- Please do not use staples.
- Yes, you can write one check for all your tax bills (Sewer must be a seperate check).
- Per State Statute 12-130 failure to have received a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from taxes or interest charge.
- Interest can not be waived.
- U.S. postmark date is used to determine interest.
- Past due taxes must be paid before current taxes. The oldest list year is paid first (CGS12-146) except for prior years that are in litigation or predate a pending bankruptcy.
- Concerning tax types within a given year; Unless the taxpayer indicates otherwise, payments are to be applied first to personal property, then to motor vehicle (regular or supplemental, whichever is older), then to real estate (CGS12-143).
- Any payment received will be applied to interest, liens & fees first, then tax.(CGS 12-144b)
Payments for motor vehicle taxes due 07/01/21 are now delinquent and subject to a $5.00 late fee (per vehicle) plus accrued interest at the rate of 1.5% month accruing from 07/01/21.